- Is spray paint toxic?
Our spray paint isn’t toxic, as we comply with the necessary regulations, although it can be irritating. Consult the safety data sheets of each product more more information.How long do I need shake the spray can for?
A spraycan should be shaken for one minute (approx.) so that the metal balls it contains inside can mix the paint well to produce a more homogeneous finish.How do you apply spray paint? How far should you hold it from the surface?
You should apply the paint in strokes from about 20 cm away until you get the desired intensity or effect.How do you avoid drips?
If you keep a distance of about 20 cm for spraying, you’ll avoid the excessive concentration of paint that can cause it to form drips.What other accessories (clothing, protection, gloves) do I need?
We recommend wearing comfortable clothes that don’t have to be kept clean as well as latex or vinyl gloves and mask, if necessary.Do I have to paint with a mask?
We advise using a mask if you want to paint indoors or in a place with little ventilation.What kind of surfaces can you spray paint?
Spraypaint is a product that can be used to paint on any type of surface, since it has a great resistance and adhesion to wood, plastic, metal and ceramics, for example. Depending on the porosity of these surfaces, you might need to apply a primer in order to give the paint better adhesion to the surface.How long does it take for the smell to disappear?
The smell of paint usually takes about 48 hours to disappear, depending on how well ventilated the room is.I have to apply a light color on top of a dark one. What do you recommend?
Due to the high coverage and opacity of our products, you don’t necessarily have to paint a layer of a light color before applying a dark one.If I can’t restrict access to the public whilst painting indoors, what can I do?
We recommend making sure the space is as well ventilated as possible for up to 48 hours after using the spray paint so that the smell disappears.
We also recommend using a mask during the process and properly covering any objects or surfaces you want to protect from the paint.Before painting, should I sand the surface down?
Depending on the surface, we always recommend cleaning it first to remove dust and grit. For surfaces that aren’t porous, it’s always better to sand them down with fine sandpaper before using a cloth again to remove any dust. That’s how to open the pores of the surface a little, providing better grip for the paint.Which direction should you paint in? From side to side, or vertically?
It doesn’t matter.
(You can find more information about application techniques on the Technical Data Sheets of each product or in the video tutorial).How can I clean a spray paint stain?
Our MTN solvent is a very effective tool to remove small spray paint stains.How much surface can I cover with a 400 or 150 ml. spray can?
The average surface that can be painted with a spray of 400 ml. is approximately 3m2 and, with one of 150ml., 1.5m2. In both cases it always depends on the use, how the porous the surface is and so on.
(You will find this information in each of the Technical Data Sheets of each product)How do I clean the spray can for later use?
To clean both the nozzle and the inner valve after using the spray, guaranteeing great performance later, hold the spray can upside down and press the nozzle until paint stops coming out and only gas comes out. That way, you’ll get rid of traces of paint that can dry and clog the aerosol.What do I do if the paint bubbles?
If the paint bubbles or produces a different texture than the one you were expecting, it’s because the product hasn’t been mixed correctly. You can mix the paint by shaking the can well and spraying some paint into the air before starting to use it.Are the colors of MTN products your own colors?
All the colors of the MTN94, HARDCORE and WATER BASED ranges are our own colors created by MTN colorists. Within these ranges, colors with the code RV-*XXXX are equivalent to the RAL color with the same numerical code. The of MTN PRO COLOR PAINT range is based on the RAL chart.Can MTN aerosols be recycled?
All our products can be recycled once they are completely empty. Check your local regulations to find out how to recycle them.What do I do if an MTN product is defective?
Send an email to [email protected], specifying the product routing number and the problem you have had. The routing number is a numerical code that begins with 19R/20R/21R/22R and can be found on the label or base of the can.
(image of the digital label, better than a photo of a spray can perhaps).What’s the difference between the different color ranges of Montana Colors products?
Within our color ranges, we have some paints that are alkyd (HARDCORE and MTN 94) and others that are acrylic (PINTURA PRO).
The properties of ACRYLIC paints are:
- Physical drying (evaporation of solvents) in about 2 hours.
- Do not yellow.
- Once dry, they harden more than alkyds.
- Low resistance to chemicals.
The properties of ALKYD paints are:
- Physical drying (evaporation of solvents) + chemical drying. This gives a total drying time of about 24 hours.
- Tends to yellow.
- Rubbery touch.
We also have WATER-BASED paints, a paint formulated exclusively with water and alcohol.
We also have paints with different types of pressure:
-The MEGA, MAXIMO and MADMAXXX are spray paints with high pressure, causing them to spray out more paint. For new users, the paint is more likely to drip in in these cases.
The MTN 94 are low pressure spray paints, and unlike the high pressure ones,you are less likely to get drips in the final result.How long does it take for the paint to dry?
The touch drying times of spray paint is usually about 15/20 minutes, depending on the environmental conditions and the amount of layers of paint you apply.
Water-based paints take longer to dry, while those that are solvent-based will dry faster.
The total drying time depends on the type of product used.The COLOR PAINT spray takes two hours, whilst the 2K VARNISH takes 72 hours.
We recommend always consulting the technical sheet to check the drying specifications and other characteristics of each product. You can find the technical sheet on the product page of our website or in the documentation section of the website:How long do I have to wait between applying coats of paint?
Acrylic paints (MTN PRO COLOR PAINTING) can be recoated once they are touch dry (15/20 minutes).
Alkyd paints (MTN94 or HARDCORE) can be recoated once they are touch dry (15/20 minutes) and before 2 hours. This is because alkyd paints have a curing process after becoming touch dry (air oxidation).When do I have to apply a varnish?
A varnish is a solution of oils or resins in a solvent that dries by evaporating these solvents. We use a varnish to provide physical and chemical resistance, or to protect objects from elements in the atmosphere.
If you are painting with acrylic paint (MTN PRO COLOR PAINT), you can apply the varnish once the paint is touch dry (15 minutes).
If you are painting with alkyd paint (MTN 94 or HARDCORE), you can apply the varnish between 15 minutes and 2 hours after the last layer of color.When do I have to apply a primer?
A primer is a layer that will help you prepare a surface before the final coat.
Primers can help you to:
- Facilitate adhesion on non-porous surfaces.
- Prevent absorption on porous surfaces.
- Protect surfaces from moisture and rust.
- Save paint and equalize the absorption (sealing and covering the pores) of the final coat.
There are different primers depending on the type of material we want to paint.
What materials can I paint?
- Phosphating primer: for painting neat metal surfaces.
- Plastic primer: for painting POLYPROPYLENE surfaces.
- White base primer: for painting porous and absorbent surfaces or dark surfaces.
- Anti-rust primer: for metal surfaces that are at risk of rusting.
- Universal primer: for most surfaces.
You can paint most materials. You won’t have adhesion problems on porous surfaces. On surfaces without or with little porosity, use the appropriate primer:
- On metal objects, you can use WASH OR ANTI-RUST PRIMER.
- On PP plastic (polypropylene) use the PLASTIC PRIMER.
- On porous surfaces and with a lot of absorption, use the WHITE BASE PRIMER so that the surface does not absorb all the paint and you won’t have to apply more layers to get the finish you want.
On surfaces with difficult adhesion in general, use UNIVERSAL PRIMER.How should you store MTN products?
-As with any painting tool, once we have finished painting, clean the tools to be able to use them when we need them again.
-Once you’ve finished painting, it’s important to purge the aerosol. This means cleaning both the nozzle and the inner valve.
-To purge an aerosol, simply hold it in an inverted position and press the nozzle for about three seconds until you see paint stops coming out and only gas is produced.
-Our products usually have a shelf life of about 10 years with ideal storage conditions
(see the expiration date on the packaging-show a photo of a label explaining how the manufacturing/expiration date works).
These 10 years of storage should be in optimal conditions - a temperature between 10-30 degrees and 60% humidity).Why doesn't the spray can work for me?
Most of the problems people have with operation of a spray can are due to the following:
What problems can you have when painting with spraypaint? How can you avoid them?
- When the spraycan hasn’t been shaken enough, or at all. This will mean the paint and solvent inside aren’t properly mixed, and can the nozzle and the inner valve can clog. To avoid this problem, shake the spray for a minute after hearing the ball inside.
- When the spraycan hasn’t been cleaned out after use. If you don’t clean out the aerosol after use, it might not work. Paint may have dried inside the inner valve or the cap, preventing paint from coming out again when you want to reuse it. To clean a spraycan, hold it in an upside-down position and press the nozzle for about 2-3 seconds until you see that only gas comes out.
Can appear due to different reasons (drying times, incompatibility of paints...). The solution is to respect the drying times of each paint.
Can appear if you paint from a short distance or at high temperatures. The solution is to apply the paint from a safe distance and avoid painting anywhere with too high a temperature.
Drips can appear for three reasons:
- Accumulation of paint.
- Painting directly on the object, without having done a test before.
- Painting without shaking the can beforehand.
To solve it, we will have to:
- Paint at the right distance and speed avoid buildup of paint.
- Do a test on a test surface or in the air, until the color comes out.
- Shake the spray for one minute after you hear the ball inside.How do you have to prepare a surface before painting?
Most of our products can be used on any surface. Even so, it’s always a good idea to follow a previous process of surface preparation:
Which nozzle should you use?
- Remove any dust, grease and rust.
- Use right primer for the material we will paint.
- Shake the spray for a minute after hearing the sound of the ball inside.
- Before applying the paint on the final surface, test the flow on a test surface to make sure that it’s well mixed and test the pressure of the aerosol.
- Apply the paint at a distance of about 20 cm.
- It’s always better to apply three thin layers than a thick one.
Depending what you want to paint - either an object or an artistic painting - you can choose several different types of cap that will help you paint in the best way. Most MTN products are compatible with any of the nozzles mentioned here.
FINE STROKE: To paint small objects with a lot of control over the flow of paint.
SKINNY CREAM CAP, POCKET CAP, SUPER SKINNY CAP, PRO CAP.
MEDIUM STROKE: Ideal for painting defined lines and painting small objects.
UNIVERSAL CAP, SOFT CAP, LEGO CAP, HARDCORE MEDIUM CAP.
WIDE STROKE: Ideal for painting wide lines or covering large surfaces quickly. Also useful for blending colors.
NY FAT CAP, SUPER FAT CAP, FAT PINK CAP, POCKET FAT CAP.
VERY WIDE STROKE: Ideal for covering large surfaces and blending colors.
ASTRO FAT CAP, HARDCORE FAT CAP, MAD MAXXX CAP (only compatible with MAD MAXXX).
TRANSVERSAL STROKE: Beveled stroke diffusers.
TRANSVERSAL VARNISH CAP, TRANSVERSAL FAT CAP, TRANSVERSAL CAP.
OTHERS: Nozzles that spray paint, transferring to another container so you can apply it with a brush.
NEEDLE CAP, TRANSFER CAP.
Changing the type of nozzle can change the performance of the aerosol.How much surface to MTN products cover?
The coverage in square meters of the products is detailed in the technical sheets of each one, which are on the product page of the website and in the documentation section:
Coverage may vary depending on different factors such as:
Are the products UV resistant?
- The type of cap you use. Each product comes with the ideal nozzle to use it, although you can change it according to your needs or taste. This change can cause the spray to spray more/less paint, modifying the coverage of the spray.
- The thickness of paint you apply. If you apply thick layers, it means applying more paint than necessary on some parts of the surface. This will reduce the surface area you can cover.
- The distance you spray from. If you apply the paint very close to the surface, you’ll use more paint than necessary and the layer of paint will be thick. If you apply the paint from too far away, the paint won’t reach the surface and will be wasted, making the yield much lower. It’s important to apply the paint from the distance indicated in the product data sheet. Usually, the right distance is 20-25 cm.
The resistance to UV rays tells you how long a color / product can withstand daylight without fading.
-All our products pass quality controls on their resistance to UV rays.
-On the labels of the MTN 94, HARDCORE and WATER BASED ranges, you’ll find graphics explaining the resistance they have to the sun.Do I have to apply one coat of paint or more?
The coverage of the paint depends on the color you use, owing to the pigment of that color. You’ll need to apply more or fewer layers depending on the color you choose and its opacity (coverage capacity). On the labels of the MTN 94, HARDCORE and WATER BASED ranges you’ll find some explanatory graphics about their opacity.Differences between Chrome and Metallic Paint
These two types of products have a similar finish, although they have small differences. Both imitate the look of a metal, although they do it differently. The range of metallic colors consists of paint with a high content of metallic pigments which produce a metallic effect is achieved, whereas the chrome paint achieves its final result thanks to its LEAFING effect. This effect mimics a chrome finish, since the leafing pigments "float" on the surface aligning and generating the effect. When applying one of these two products, take into account that:
Do you have any more questions about how to use our products?
- The metallic paint is suitable for outdoor application and you can varnish it if necessary. The application of the varnish won’t affect the final result.
- The chrome paint isn’t suitable for outdoor application. It won’t withstand contact and can’t be varnished. Any of these three conditions will alter the arrangement of the pigments on the surface, leaving you with a matt finish without the brightness of the original chrome effect.
Write to us at [email protected] and we’ll help you make your project a reality!